Sunday 20 April 2008

Stedelijk Museum.

As per request, here is an update about some artworks that has caught my interest in the Stedelijk Museum in amsterdam. I would love to talk about what is in Rijks Museum, sadly I did not go there...but i did manage to take a few photos in Stedelijk Museum =)

It was quite hard to get them without flash because if you took pictures with flash the security guards will go BERSERK and SUE you ( to those who read my previous post, you get what i mean -__- ) But it was still rather lucky to be able to take pictures as most galleries do not allow cameras in the exhibit. Altough the quality of the photos are not as good as with the flash but it will do. Hehehe... =) I am quite happy with that anyway.

Enjoy~~~! XD


Remember this?? =) I still had no idea how to pronounce it, hahaha!


As we went in this view greeted us.


As i looked back at the photos, it was still very amazing for me, the redness of the room was 'in your face!' and looking outside makes you feel like your on another planet. Standing near the plastic window gave this feeling of amazement and anxiety because we were absorbed with the fact that it was both like being on mars as well as this danger zone that could lead to instant death because the distance from the plastic window untill all the way down to the ground was really really~~~ long~~~! >_<


Also being in the one coloured room was actually fun, I would imagine it to be a different colour...and sometimes wondered if it would give out a totally different feel...


This painting was amazing! Its an oil paint on canvas and if i'm not mistaken the title was 'persimmons.' I really like the strong use of colours in this painting and how the artist sets the distances of the subjects apart gives it a sort of minimalist aprroach. The colours that matches the persimmon are a good touch and the pink dress alongside the facial features of the girl suggests 'difference' and 'left out'. The pear to me maybe is a sign of 'longing to fit in'. Thats how i see the painting at the time...But hey, each person has thier own opinions isn't it ;)


This was set up on a wall at the end of a small room.


And here is a close up of the above picture... I'm not quite sure what the artist wanted to portray in this work, but it may have been to 'absorb' as i find myself looking at if from afar and gradually moving forward all the way close up to the painting. ( in which makes me look like a silly girl that time because i was really~~~ close to the painting my eyes were squinting and my face was close to kissing the centre, hahahaha! ) Good thing i was the only one in there that time *winks winks*


And here is one of my favourites! As i said in my previous post, this painting felt so real! and i really LOVE the way the artist did the textures in the painting. I was really taken aback by this one because I was practically looking at it at all angles near and far and in and out, hahaha! A huge plus from me!!!! XD
(sadly after that my mood turned sour due to the security guard incident... -__-'' grrrr....)


This was a pure textile painting, it involved mostly different kinds of materials and cottons and a LOT of sewing... It seems to suggest comfort and safeness for one yet the huge white patch and the bunny gives out insecurity and unsureness...a contradicting work in my opinion, I took an interest in this work as it reminds me of my friends artwork where her theme is about blankets and things we have that are comfort to us since childhood, or as we malays in brunei call it our 'bantal buruk'. Hehehe.


This piece was a joint performance and installation work done by Allora and Calzadilla and is called "Never Mind The Noise You Heard" Upon reading a brief, this work was done based on war and militarism.


This was another part of the work. It took up a wide space of three different parts, that time i was walking alone and the environment that time was absolutely scary!!! The surrounding was mostly white with occasional yellow lights going on and off along with random sounds of horns, blasts and some woman singing opera songs. Each turn that I took was a HUGE suspense due to the sounds and the flashing lights, and I was at that time hoping that there was someone else in there with me for extra safety.

I was even thinking "go back! go back!" but somehow curiousity got the best of me and I just went on my scary journey along the room >_< huhuhu, so stubborn!

Seriously my heart the whole time walking in there alone was going *thump, thump, thump!!!* reaaaaaallly fast and for some reason in my mind the jaws song was ringing in my head going *baaaa~~~ dum, baaaa~~~ dum, ba dum ba dum ba dum ba dum~* And once there was actually someone else in there as he appeared out of nowhere and I almost screamed, hahaha, turned out he was also visiting the room and he went out after because he finished looking around the room, hahaha, it would have been embarrasing if I did scream, such a chicken!! XD

(surely if i walked with someone else or if there was a lot of people in there it would have given out a different feel, hahaha, but being in that room alone was definetely a really cool experience!)


Okay, running out of time...i really need to get moving on with other works, next is my last review for an art piece in the museum. This is called "the-chicken-and-the-egg-no-problem-wall-painting" where the artwork is in a very long room and is a joint work of 24 different artist ( if i'm not mistaken, hehehe. )


You can see how long the room is in this picture and there should be an extra 1/4th left running at the back of the photo. It took me bout 45 minutes total to explore the whole area on both sides.


This particular work reminds me so much of a japanese tree and the shadow on the wall with a red moon is really unique and reminded me of the chinese moon cake festival, hehehe.


This was taken on a different view...this work was made of wire, wood, tape and paper.


Apart from the ridiculously long room, all the arts in the centre are lit up by different levels of spotlights and the shadows casted on the walls gives out a whole new and different set of artworks, I must say i'm very amazed at how the artists thought up of the floorplans and how they managed to calculate he distances between them. Such accuracy...


This piece suggested "relaxed and meditative" environment...what i really was interested in was the shadow behind it,hehehe.


By far, i think this one was the best. It was made of velcro, wire, cables, sockets and bulbs. No glass, no plastic. The title for this artwork was "infection." a simple yet strong word.


Another view but from the back.

This was a mixed media work, and is called a "vase portrait." A rather simple work in fact because each artist was ask to bring their favourite kind of flower ( but was not told what it was going to be used for ) Each flower was then put in different vases thus completeing the vase portrait...simple yet cunning i would say, hahaha.
There are actually more works in the museum than shown above, but these are just the ones noted that i am very interested in and i must honestly say that i won't bother talking too much about work that i have no interest in let alone one that i think makes no sense at all...besides in the art world not all the works are perfect just like a click of the finger, it takes time and tons of experiments to get it right and sometimes for some artist it takes the right environment for them to create work.
Well...I hoped you enjoyed my little review of whats in the Stedelijk Museum =) sorry if the post was a tad bit too long or boring, hehehe, if you meet me in person I could talk about art the whole day long,hahaha. XD
Next update will hopefully be about how my college exhibition went or about the japanese tea ceremony, either way it waits till i get my pictures all sorted out ;) till then~~!
As japanese people say....Sayonara~~! XD

No comments: